- Tesla Model 3 takes ‘New Car of the Year’ award
- TV presenter Rory Reid, presents Audi S8 with the inaugural ‘Rory Reid Award’
- Mini scoops ‘Most Loved Brand’, following its 2019 win of ‘Most Fun to Drive’
- Results are based on the opinion of more than 181,000 real car owners
- Find all winners and runners up at: www.autotrader.co.uk/new-car-awards
The Tesla Model 3 has been announced as the New Car of the Year 2020, according to a consumer vote featuring the views of over 181,000 car owners for the fourth annual Auto Trader New Car Awards.
With more electric cars (EVs) on our roads than ever before, it’s no surprise that an EV has taken the top spot this year. Tesla’s applauded Model 3 has proved to be an aspirational favourite with the public, beating off stiff competition from the likes of Kia Niro and Porsche Macan for New Car of the Year.
Unlike other car awards which rely on editorial judging panels, the Auto Trader New Car Awards are decided by real car owners voting to decide the winner of 18 categories. This year, over 181,000 car owners took part in the judging process between August 2019 and March 2020, making it the largest Awards to date for Auto Trader.
The winners represent the consumer champions of the new car market, based on the honest opinions of those who have bought, driven and lived with their new cars. Winners of the awards will be promoted on Auto Trader, the UK’s largest automotive marketplace, which attracts an average of 50 million cross platform visits a month.
This year also sees the introduction of a brand-new award for best luxury car. The ‘Rory Reid’ award, judged solely by TV presenter and Auto Trader’s own YouTube Director Rory Reid, has been given to the Audi S8, with Rory insisting it is most likely: “the best car in the world”.
The winners of the Auto Trader New Car Awards 2020 are:
- New Car of the Year: Tesla Model 3
- Best Car for Families: Volvo XC60
- Best Car for City Drivers: Nissan Qashqai
- Best Value New Car: Dacia Duster
- Best Car for Long Distances: Volkswagen Golf
- Most Fun Car to Drive: Mazda MX-5 RF
- Best Car for New Drivers: Mercedes-Benz A-Class
- Best Car for Dog Owners: Skoda Karoq
- Best 7-Seater: Volvo XC90
- Best Car for Towing: Kia Sorento
- Most Loved Car: BMW 3 Series
- Best Hybrid Car: Lexus NX 300h
- Best Electric Car: Tesla Model 3
- Most Loved Brand: Mini
- Most Reliable Brand: Skoda
- Best Utility Vehicle: Volkswagen Amarok
- Car Brand with the Best Tech: Jaguar
- Best Value Brand: MG
- Best luxury car / Rory Reid award: Audi S8
Consumers were asked to rate their cars according to 16 different criteria, from reliability and performance to appearance and running costs. They were also asked about their overall satisfaction with their car and how likely they would be to recommend it to others.
Erin Baker, Auto Trader’s Editorial Director, said: “In today’s ‘new normal’, we are seeing higher demand for cars as the public seek to avoid public transport wherever possible. So it’s more important than ever to help car buyers, providing them with the right information and advice. There are a host of factors that will impact their decision, from value for money to the in-car tech, and even the range of an EV if they’re considering going down the electric route. The New Car Awards are a brilliant way of helping to inform these choices.”
Rory Reid, Auto Trader’s YouTube Director, said: “These awards recognise the brands and cars that are doing it right in the eyes of those whose opinions matter most, consumers. They prove how manufacturers are taking consumers’ needs into consideration and innovating to bring a great and wide choice of cars to market. Each of our winners is well deserving – congratulations to all.”
This is the fourth-annual Auto Trader New Car Awards, which is the UK’s largest and most influential marketplace for new car purchases, with 72% of consumers identifying it as the best place to search for their next new car.
About Auto Trader
Auto Trader Group plc is the UK and Ireland's largest digital automotive marketplace. Auto Trader sits at the heart of the UK's vehicle buying process and its primary activity is to help vehicle retailers compete effectively on the marketplace in order to sell more vehicles, faster. Auto Trader listed on the London Stock Exchange in March 2015 and is now a member of the FTSE 100 Index.
The marketplace brings together the largest and most engaged consumer audience. Auto Trader has over 90% consumer prompted brand awareness and attracts circa 50 million monthly cross platform visits each month, with over 80% of visits coming through mobile devices.
For more information, please visit https://plc.autotrader.co.uk/who-we-are/about-us/