The Polestar 2 has been crowned the New Car of the Year 2022, beating off the BMW 3 Series and Hyundai IONIQ 5, according to a consumer vote featuring the views of 156,500 car owners at the sixth annual Auto Trader New Car Awards.
With climate concerns high on the world stage and in consumers’ consciousness, it’s little surprise that an electric vehicle (EV) has taken the top spot for the third consecutive year. In fact, this year Auto Trader has also introduced a new sustainability award – offering brands the opportunity to share their best initiatives.
Highlighting the growing popularity of EVs, which on the UK’s largest automotive marketplace, Auto Trader, account for one in five of all searches. In fact, 2022 saw the highest number of EV winners as 40% of this year’s winners were electric, up from just 36% in 2021.
In addition to the Polestar 2 taking away the award for New Car of the Year, it also won the Best Premium Electric Car and the Most Loved Car awards. The Skoda Enyaq iV won the Best Value Electric Car; and the Vauxhall Mokka-e won the much-coveted Erin Baker Award which is chosen personally by Auto Trader’s Editorial Director. What’s more, the Renault Arkana plug-in hybrid won the Best Hybrid category.
Unlike other car awards which rely solely on editorial judging panels, Auto Trader’s New Car Awards are decided by over 156,500 real car owners, who voted to decide 19 of this year’s 22 categories.
The winners for the Auto Trader New Car Awards 2022 are:
- New Car of the Year - Polestar 2 *electric vehicle
- Best Car for Families – Audi e-tron *electric vehicle
- Best Car for New Drivers – Ford Puma
- Best Value New Car – Dacia Duster
- Best Car for Long Distances – Skoda Kodiaq
- Most Fun to Drive – Alfa Romeo Giulia
- Best Car for City Drivers - MG HS
- Best Car for Dog Owners – MG MG5
- Best 7-Seater Car – Kia Sorento
- Best Car for Towing – Volvo XC40
- Most Loved Car – Polestar 2 *electric vehicle
- Best Hybrid – Renault Arkana
- Best Value Electric Car – Skoda Enyaq iV *electric vehicle
- Best Premium Electric Car – Polestar 2 *electric vehicle
- Best Value Brand – Dacia
- Most Loved Brand – Porsche
- Most Reliable Brand – Lexus
- Car brand with the best tech – Tesla *electric vehicle
- Best Luxury Car – Audi RS6 Avant
- Sustainability Initiative Award – Nissan
- The Rory Reid Award – BMW IX *electric vehicle
- The Erin Baker Award – Vauxhall Mokka-e *electric vehicle
Erin Baker, Auto Trader’s Editorial Director, said: “The new car market is fast changing, with a new electric vehicle entering the market every week. However, with so much choice in the market, it can be a challenge for consumers to find the car that is right for them. That’s where our New Car Awards can help. With categories based on how consumers actually use their cars in the ‘real-world’, it offers buyers insight into which makes, and models could best suit their lifestyle.”
In one of the industry’s largest consumer studies, 156,500 car owners were asked to rate their cars according to 16 different criteria, from reliability and performance to appearance and running costs, as well as their overall satisfaction and how likely they would be to recommend it to others. Independent analysts then used this data to determine the finalists for 19 of the categories.
Despite the well-publicised supply challenges, Auto Trader continues to see very robust levels of consumer demand for new cars on its marketplace. The volume of new car enquiries sent to retailers increased by 8% in 2022, compared to April 2021, whilst new car advert views on Auto Trader were up 97% on the same period last year.
Winners of the awards will be promoted across Auto Trader, the UK’s largest automotive marketplace, which attracts an average of 63 million cross platform visits a month. Auto Trader is also the UK’s most influential marketplace for new car purchases, with 61% of consumers identifying it as the best place to search for their next new car.
A full list of winners can be found here: www.autotrader.co.uk/new-car-awards